Happy Thanksgiving! No I’m not American and no I don’t really have any American family, in all honesty I just want to make a pumpkin pie because I have never made one. Actually I have never eaten one either, until now. I must say I enjoyed it and definitely will make one again, they are surprisingly easy.
This recipe I stole from the hummingbird bakery as I had no clue where to start, I had however brought a pumpkin.
- 260g plain flour
- 1/2tsp salt
- 110g butter
For the filling:
- 1 egg
- 425g pumpkin puree
- 235ml evaporated milk
- 220g caster sugar
- 1/4tsp ground cloves
- 1tsp salt
- 3/4tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 ground ginger
- 1tbsp plain flour
- lightly whipped cream to serve
- For the pastry, put the flour, salt and butter in a bowl and rub together until you get a breadcrumb consistency. Add a tablespoon of water one at a time beating well after each addition until the mixture comes together to form a dough. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave to rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170c/gas 3.
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour and roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Line the prepared pie dish with dough and trim the edges with a sharp knife.
- Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper over the dough and pour in the baking beans and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the greaseproof and the baking beans and bake for a further 10 minutes. The dough should still be pale and slightly raw.
- All the recipes I have found says to used a tin of pumpkin puree, I made mine by simply cutting the pumpkin up and roasting until it soften then blitz it in a food processor.
- Next put the egg, pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, sugar, cloves, salt, cinnamon, ginger and flour in a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until everything is well combine and there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the filling is set firm and doesn’t wobble when shaken.
- Leave to cool and serve with a dollop of lightly whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.
So that’s how you make a pumpkin pie. To make the recipe even easier simply buy a ready made pastry or even better a ready made pastry case (it means skipping steps 1-4).