This recipe deserves a whole blog post to itself. I love Terry’s choclate orange and it’s a shame they only tend to be around at christmas time, so this is a blog post for those who need a chocolate orange kick mid-summer. I most say these cupcakes are amazing!
- 70g unsalted butter, softened
- 210g caster sugar
- 105g soft light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 255g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 240ml whole milk
For the icing:
- 600g icing sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g cream cheese
- 60g cocoa powder
- 3tsp finely grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and fill the cupcake try with paper cases.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla essence and the orange zest (I added some orange juice too).
- Sift together the remaining ingredients. Add to the creamed mixture with the milk and continue beating with your mixer until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between your paper cases, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes (depends on the size, we left ours in for only just 15) until the sponges spring back when you press them. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: whisk the icing sugar with the butter until crumbly and lumpless. Add the cream cheese, cocoa powder and continue to mix. Finally add the orange zest and stir in by hand (again I added some orange juice too).
- Frost the cupcakes and decorate with cake crumbs and orange zest.
I am going to reapeat it, these cupcakes are amazing!!